<$BlogRSDUrl$>
stardust holiday
chronicles of the chronically (and voluntarily) bedridden

Hey you, you want to read my goals, try my goals!

09 July 2006
Ever since I started the interview process for the study I've been keeping an ongoing list of of goals. Just random things I'd like to with with more then 1000 hours of free time on my hands over the 12 weeks I'm going to be in bed. Here is a list of a few of them.

Become a better speller. You will soon find, if you have not already, I'm not a very good speller. It is something that I may joke about once in a while but it is also something that can be painfully embarrassing.

Improve my typing speed by 50%. Sometime in my first week in bed I'm going to take online typing test from a few different webpages and average the speed and accuracy. Whatever the total is I'm going to try to improve it by 50%.

Create a plot outline for 5 young adult books. I've always, even today, loved young adult books. I don't expect to write 5 books while in bed, but writing the outline for a series is possible.

Make 5 squares a day. I, like Erin, knit and crochet. I'd love to make a blanket using scrap cotton, creating squares of various different sizes and textures that all fit together in the end. Granted, it may turn out to be the ugliest blanket on the planet, but it will be all mine. Not to mention, I will gladly sent the piece of fug to You Knit What.

Read 25 books. This is made of of 5 "chicklit" books, 10 books from classic literature, and 10 books from the American Library Association's most commonly banned books. The latter will be read from September 23-30. I recently found out that that is Banned Book Week 2006. Anyone want to join me? I'm going to read the ten books most commonly challenged. Seeing as some are short children's books, if I have time more books from the top 100 will be read.

Listen to more NPR.

Spend one hour journaling a day. Not just here though. I'm also going to keep a personal journal not open to the public.

Memorize all 194 countries (latest count according to the UN), location, capital, leader. This I think is going to be the hardest one of all, but also one of the most important.

Take an online class. I don't know what class yet, but I'll figure that out soon enough.

Write a personal statement for graduate school. I fell in love with this program, and I have to write a personal statement about what diversity means to me as a part of the application process.

Knit a sweater. I have 5 skeins white of white yarn 1 pink, blue, and purple. More then enough for something cute. I, of course, have more then 8 hanks of yarn, but this 8 is dedicated just to the sweater.

Learn a language. Now I don't intend to become fluent in one, but spending a few hours a week listening to language CD's will help me become familiar with one.

There will be a few more as time goes on, but this is what I have for right now.





19:04 :: :: permalink
4 Comments:
  • That's a great list of goals you've got there. I checked out the top 100 banned books and there are a LOT of good books on their. I've got a few reccomendations, if you're interested (I tried to pick longer ones). These were my favorite young adult books. The Giver, Lois Lowry; The Color Purple, Alice Walker; The Outsiders, S.E. Hinton; Flowers for Algernon, Daniel Keyes; The Drowning of Stephen Jones; and Summer Of My German Soldier (one of my absolute favorites); Bette Green. (There's a sequel to the last one, too...forgot the name) I was really impressed by you're intent on learning all 192 (?) Countries. I think I might follow suit there...I'm always looking for something to learn, just got to think of a way to break it all down so that it's easier to understand. Maybe memorize one or two a day and compile them (kind of like the ABC game you play in the car)? Well thanks for the idea to learn all the countries. Good luck this fall!!

    By Blogger Cindy, at 10:36  
  • Hi Becca! It's Megan from your local knitting group. I own quite a few of the books on the banned list, and I'd be more than happy to clear out some bookshelve space to help you with your goal. I even have some of the young adult ones lying around. If you need titles, I can tell you which ones I have, and then I can just bring them to SnB. Just let me know. :)

    By Anonymous Megan from SnB, at 18:59  
  • You know you have to make me a scarf too... I have two: one my ex-girlfriend made me and one my grandma made me... I feel weird wearing both anymore. In exchange I will order a magician to come perform for you in your room.

    By Blogger George V., at 09:53  
  • For the online class: I don't know how official you want it to be, but an awesome prof at my home university (Oklahoma) offers several mythology and language classes that would expose you to tons of different myth bases and stories from lots of different cultures, with lots and lots of links to explore. I don't know if you want actual college credit for the course, but you can do all of the content for free on her website without registering or anything.

    http://www.mythfolklore.net/

    (I took MLLL 3034.)

    Later!
    Jessica

    By Blogger Jessica, at 11:54  
Post a Comment
<< Home