<$BlogRSDUrl$>
stardust holiday
chronicles of the chronically (and voluntarily) bedridden

Ten D-Cell Batteries

05 July 2006
Just 12 hours after celebrating my nation's independence, which I did by eating McFlurrys and watching Seinfeld with some close friends, I found myself enslaved once again. My master is the Pedar unit that I am required to wear today for ADR (Ambulatory Data Recorder?). It's my last of 4 days with this thing. Here's a picture of me wearing it.



It doesn't look so bad, but included in that black pack is a cartridge which holds 10 D-Cell batteries. That's the only setup possible to power this thing for 12 hours. The computer is connected to insoles in my shoes, and the pressure that I put on my feet is turned into data, which is collected to determine how much I walk in a normal day. This, in turn, will decide how much I should exercise, should I be selected as an exerciser. I find out tomorrow whether I will spend 84 days without using my legs at all, or whether I'll be exercising daily and turning my fat into muscle. It's funny, though, how badly I want to exercise in the study when I can't bring myself to even go running on the outside.

One of the tricky things about preparing to spend 84 days in bed is deciding what I need to wean myself from and what I need to get while I can. I've definitely been taking longer showers that usual, knowing that I'll be taking unfulfilling baths and wipe-downs once I'm in the clinic. One thing I should be phasing out is caffeine, and I haven't been doing very well at it. I can go a couple days without coffee, but pop is hard to avoid. Later on I'm going to the grocery store and I'm going to buy a case of bottled water, to get myself used to drinking 2-3 liters of it a day.

Along the same lines, I've made a mental list of things I want to do before I go to bed. I already knocked one of them out on Monday with a trip to the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. I hadn't been there yet this year and needed my fix. Here is a picture of me trying to befriend a goat at the petting zoo.



Next on the list is a trip to Cedar Point.
14:40 :: :: permalink
1 Comments:
  • Supposedly, one of the goats can balance itself on a giant plastic ball. Did it learn this on northern face of the Alpines? Regardless, I'm glad you went to the zoo, George. I miss it so. It and you both. --AE

    By Anonymous Andrew, at 11:17  
Post a Comment
<< Home