<$BlogRSDUrl$>
stardust holiday
chronicles of the chronically (and voluntarily) bedridden

You can't always get what you want

22 July 2006
They say you can't always get what you want, and this is true quite often in almost every aspect of life. Then again, there are times when you can get what you want. Even when said "wanting" is completely random and no one has any control over what you get. On Wednesday I found out what group I was in for the study and am ecstatic. I got to the Clinic to drop off the ADR I had worn all day Tuesday and my stomach was in knots. I sat for a few minutes and talked with one of the interns about how I'm going to decorate my room. I'm thinking wrapping paper wallpaper and construction paper rings and stars. Something to cover up the white white walls. Ricki came in and I saw it right away. A little envelope, like the kind you mail the gas bill in was in her hand under the notebooks she was carrying. The green Cleveland Clinic Logo in the upper left, and a small index card inside. She handed it to me and I felt like I was 7 and about to open my first Hanukkah present. I held it in my hands, nervous as all get out, and looked down. No need to even open it, I could see the large capital T clear as day. I was an exerciser. I forgot what T stands for but I remember being told prior that was the letter to look for. For 5 days a week, for 12 weeks, I get to run for a few hours a day. I couldn't be more thrilled. I know I won't feel like that everyday, but I have to tell myself that running is something I get to do, not have to do. Now if you want to get technical, I do have to do it, but I think you know what I mean.

I am very out of shape. I seldom work out, and when I do, I generally put in a minimal effort and gain no real or noticeable benefits. This will give me the chance to jump that hurdle. I'll be in a room with 3 or 4 other people, all of whom will be pushing me to work my hardest and do my best. Being in this group will give me more to do, it will give me less time to watch TV, longer interaction with other people, and, most importantly to me when I get out of bed at the end of October, getting back to "normal" will not be as hard. Instead of having to gain back muscle I will just have to get used to walking again. I really hope to keep running a few times a week when I'm done. I've always admired people who get up n the morning, run 5 miles, and then go about their normal day and get ready for work/school. I look forward to the high people get from running and even if I have to join a gym when I'm done. I will continue to run. Not only will the bedrest project in itself be life changing, but the daily running, I hope, will also change my life for the better.

For the most part, I am all set for bed. I have a lot of yarn, a long lost of books, and most of the other things I want to do, can be done online. I went to Foot Locker after work on Wednesday and bought my shoes. They didn't have the one's I picked out and posted here, but I like the one's I got even more. An ultra light weight white and silver with a hint of mint green.

Since George summed up the ZLS pretty well, I'm not going to post a lot about it right now. But I will say this, it is really cool and I can't wait to finish the training for it. So far I've only had one day of it, and was being pulled at 50% body weight. When I first pushed off with it, the weight took me aback for a moment, but I got used to it right away.

I can't believe this is my last week. I wake up every morning now with the realization that in a few days, that will literally be the start of my day. Everything that I do will be done from that position.
This post is long enough, I'll stop there for now. I don't have Internet at home right now and my next post could be from bed. Wow.
15:32 :: :: permalink
1 Comments:
  • HI Becca :) You could make one of these to keep you busy:

    http://homepage.mac.com/aklego/PhotoAlbum22.html

    ~Kat

    By Blogger Kat, at 14:37  
Post a Comment
<< Home